Danish Dynamite Forum Index Danish Dynamite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thats not a play Ive ever seen before," Matheny

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xusuwen96
Obviously not a member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Thats not a play Ive ever seen before," Matheny Reply with quote

Lille, France (SportsNetwork.com) - The great Roger Federer added to his legacy by raising Switzerland to its first-ever Davis Cup title on Sunday when he whipped Frances Richard Gasquet in straight sets. Federer defeated Gasquet in 6-4, 6-2, 6-2 fashion to give the visiting Swiss an insurmountable 3-1 lead in the best-of-five tie on an indoor red clay surface at Lilles Pierre Mauroy Stadium. The final scheduled match of the weekend between Stan Wawrinka and Gael Monfils was abandoned on Sunday. The 17-time Grand Slam king Federer has now captured every coveted title in mens tennis, with the exception of an Olympic gold medal in singles. He paired with Wawrinka to win a gold medal in doubles at the 2008 Summer Games in Beijing. Its not for me, Ive won enough in my career and did not need to tick any empty boxes, Federer said. Im just happy for everybody else. Im happy we could live a great tennis historic moment in our country. Federer pulled out of last weeks championship match at the prestigious ATP World Tour Finals in London because of a back injury, which appeared to slow him here on Friday, but not Sunday in Lille, where he would not be denied. The 33-year-old superstar was ultra clean on Day 3, striking seven aces, without committing a double fault, and breaking Gasquet five times, while not getting broken in the rout. The iconic Swiss struck 28 more winners in the 1- hour, 52-minute match (62-34), which ended with a backhand drop shot winner. Im happy I was able to stay calm and play a good match, and Im really happy for the guys in the team, everybody worked incredibly hard to get me match ready, Federer said. Stan has put in so much effort over the years and played an unbelievable weekend that gave me the opportunity today. Im very much aware of that, this one is for the boys. Federer improved to 38-12 in his career Davis Cup singles affairs. Switzerland headed into Sundays reverse singles with a 2-1 lead against the host French after Federer and Wawrinka teamed up for a straight-set doubles victory over Gasquet and Julien Benneteau on Saturday. The capable Gasquet replaced Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the French draw on Sunday. The former Australian Open runner-up Tsonga lost to this years Aussie champion Wawrinka in four sets in Fridays opening singles rubber, while Day 1s other match saw Monfils thrash the former world No. 1 and currently second-ranked Federer in straights. The Davis Cup, which was first contested in 1900, has been captured by France on nine occasions, while the Swiss were seeking that elusive maiden championship and became the 14th nation to do so. Switzerland finished as a runner-up back in 1992. The Swiss were captained by Severin Luthi, while the French were guided by former Aussie Open runner-up Arnaud Clement. Switzerland is now 3-10 all-time versus France in Davis Cup play. The two nations last met in a 2004 quarterfinal, which was won by the French. France was seeking its first title in 13 years. Martin Demichelis Jersey . 1 goaltender tonight when they conclude a four-game road trip versus the Winnipeg Jets. Diego Maradona Jersey . The punch happened in the fourth quarter of Milwaukees 116-102 loss to the Kings on Wednesday when the two players became entangled while battling for rebounding position. http://www.argentinasoccerauthentic.com/Ever-Banega-Copa-America-Jersey/. "We cannot stay the same way the whole season long," said Reyes. "This is not acceptable. Something needs to change because were a better team than what were showing right now. Its a long season and we just need to continue to push." Its been a frustrating week for the ballclub. Lucas Biglia Jersey . The No. 23 seed at the first Grand Slam event of the tennis season has worked out all the details, from his training regime right down to where hes going to eat dinner. Nicolas Gaitan Jersey .Y. - Alex Rodriguez paid $305,000 for evidence that could be used in the case involving the Biogenesis of America drug clinic, the Daily News reported Saturday.BOSTON -- No need for instant replay. The umpires overturned this blown call on their own. After Dustin Pedroia was called out on a phantom force play in the first inning of the World Series opener, second base umpire Dana DeMuth was reversed by the other five members of his crew. Three pitches later, Mike Napoli lined a cutter to the gap in left-centre field for a go-ahead three-run double, and the Boston Red Sox coasted to an 8-1 rout over the St. Louis Cardinals on Wednesday night. Nine years after they reversed the Curse, the Red Sox succeeded in reversing a key Series call. "You rarely see that," Napoli said before adding, "especially on a stage like this." Jacoby Ellsbury had walked leading off the first, and Pedroia had singled with one out. David Ortiz followed with a slow bouncer to second baseman Matt Carpenter that had an outside chance of being turned into an inning-ending double play. Carpenter made a routine 30-foot backhand flip to Pete Kozma in plenty of time for the out. But as the shortstop approached second base, the ball bounced off the edge of his gloves webbing and fell to the ground. DeMuth called Pedroia out on a force, indicating the ball was dropped by Kozma while making the transfer to his throwing hand. "It was just one of those plays. He gave me a good feed and I just missed it," Kozma said. Red Sox manager John Farrell jogged out from the dugout out to argue. "I think were fully accepting of the neighbourhood play, but my view is that it wasnt even that," he said. "There was really no entry into the glove with the ball." All six umpires huddled near shortstop for 30 seconds to discuss the play as Farrell looked on from the infield grass. "Typically theyre probably going to stand pat with the decision thats made in the moment," Farrell said. Kozma believed he established sufficient possession. "I had enough," he said. And then crew chief John Hirschbeck then walked toward tthe Cardinals dugout on the third-base side, motioning with his left hand for Cardinals manager Mike Matheny to come out.ddddddddddddHe told him that Pedroia was being called safe, and Matheny spent 1 1/2 minutes arguing to no avail, repeatedly jabbing his right index finger in the air. "Thats not a play Ive ever seen before," Matheny said. "And Im pretty sure there were six umpires on the field that had never seen that play before either. Its a pretty tough time to debut that overruled call in the World Series. Now, I get that trying to get the right call. I get that. Tough one to swallow." DeMuth admitted he got it wrong. "I stayed with the foot too long. Thats how I ended up getting in trouble," he said. "And when I was coming up, all I could see was a hand coming out and the ball on the ground. All right? So I was assuming." When he saw his crewmates converging on him, DeMuth knew he had made a mistake. "Its an awful feeling, yeah. Especially when Im sure I have the right call," he said. Hirschbeck said in the end it wasnt a difficult decision for the crew. "When I hear all five of us say we are 100 per cent, then I say, OK, we need to change this. Its as simple as that," he said. Major League Baseball started using video review to assist umpires in 2008, but only to decide whether potential home runs went over fences or were fair balls. Under rules changes likely to be approved for next season, video will be used for virtually every call other than balls and strikes. Managers would be allowed one challenge over the first six innings and two from the seventh inning on. Officials in New York City would make the final ruling. Speaking softly in a corner of the cramped visitors clubhouse, Kozma seemed like a player who felt he had let his team down. "You saw what happened the rest of the night," he said. "If I catch that ball and turn that double play, it stays nothing-nothing." Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Danish Dynamite Forum Index -> Trading Post All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: